Death & Burial

Death and Burial Information

If the death occurs in hospital, the hospital staff will contact the person named by the deceased as next of kin. The hospital will keep the body in the hospital mortuary until the executor arranges for it to be taken away. Hospital staff will arrange for the nearest relative to collect the deceased's possessions.

A medical certificate will be issued by the hospital, to register the death with the local register.

Most funeral directors have a chapel of rest in which the deceased will be held pending the funeral.

If the death occurs in a nursing home/own home or elsewhere and the death was expected, contact must be made with his/her G.P who attended to the deceased during their final illness.

If the cause of death is quite clear the G.P will issue a medical certificate and formal notice that the medical certificate has been signed. After that you can phone Islamic funeral services to take the body for wash and kafan.

Medical certificate (Free off Charge): That shows the cause of death and a formal notice states that the doctor has signed the medical certificate.

Take this medical certificate to your local registry office to get the death registered.

Death must be registered with your local registry of birth/Marriages/Deaths for the district or sub district in which it occurred, within five days. If the death has been referred to the coroner, it cannot be registered until authority from the coroner is received. However if the cause of death is quite clear then you can obtain the medical certificate from the G.P. to the registrar and they will register it.

Registrar Office Telephone numbers:

Camberley (Surrey heath):01276 707 580

Aldershot (Hampshire): 01252 322 066

Guilford (Surrey): 01483 568 387

Fee for the death certificate is £3.50 per copy.

However you may need more than one copy for the will, pension claims, insurance police, bank certificate and premium bonds etc.

When you go to the registrar office you should take all of the following:

  1. Medical certificate (Issued by G.P)
  2. Deceased medical card (If you have one)
  3. The deceased Birth and Marriage certificate (If available)

You should tell the registrar:

  • The date and place of death.
  • The deceased’s last address
  • The deceased’s first name and surname.
  • The deceased’s date and place of birth.
  • The deceased’s occupation, name and occupation of their spouse.
  • Whether the deceased was getting a pension or allowance from the public fund.
  • If the deceased was married, the date of birth of the surviving widow or widower.

The registrar who registers the death will issue you a certificate for Burial (Known as the Green form) unless the coroner has already given you an Order for Burial (Form 101) this gives you permission for the body to be buried.


Islamic funeral services will arrange for you where you want the deceased to be buried, but you have to pay for the services and for the burial site. Consult your Muslim directory for your nearest Islamic Funeral Service providers.

List of the Islamic Funeral Services providers are:

  • Haji Taslim Funerals Tel: 0207 247 2625 or 0207 247 9583
  • Muslim Funeral Service Website:
  • Mr. M.A.Khan. Slough. Tel.01753 82 11 90, Mob:07860 85 90 90

Burial site in Surrey:

  • Brookwood Cemetery, Near Woking, Surrey.
  • Bracknell Forest Cemetery

if you are taking deceased out of the U.K. Then you have to go to your local coroner to get authorisation for releasing the body. All you need is to take either the medical certificate issued by the G.P. or the death certificate issued by the registrar.

Camberley(Surrey Heath) Coroner office is in the Frimley police station.

Tel: 01276 677 598

You are here: